The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) degree is an IUPUI program that grants a Purdue University degree. All courses required for this degree can be completed on the IUPUC campus.
As a mechanical engineering student in the IUPUI program, you will benefit from all of the facilities and services of the program. These facilities and services are available on the IUPUC campus:
- State-of-the art classrooms, engineering software, experimental laboratories and facilities in the Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence (AMCE)
- Access to a unique precision measurement and metrology laboratory
- A high-performance computational analysis simulation and engineering laboratory (CASEL) that is integrated into the engineering curriculum for undergraduate research and design courses
- Outstanding faculty with PhDs and significant industry experience in addition to academic advisors who are committed to knowing you personally and helping you achieve your academic goals
- Assistance with networking, paid internships, and job placement through our close relationships with regional engineering companies and partners
- Several engineering scholarships are available to support engineering students pursuing their undergraduate degrees
- A small, beautiful campus with small class sizes dedicated to your personal attention, education, and progress through graduation
Undergraduate Program Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives of the mechanical engineering program are to provide an education that produces graduates capable of achieving the following career and professional accomplishments:
- Serve as competent mechanical engineering professionals that meet or exceed the expectations of their employers.
- Pursue advanced degrees in mechanical or other related fields of engineering. Pursue other professional degrees, such as law or business.
- Assume leadership roles in government and industry, as well as in their communities and the global society.
a. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
b. Conduct experiments methodically, analyze data, and interpret results
c. Design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
d. Function in teams to carry out multidisciplinary projects
e. Identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
f. Understand professional and ethical responsibilities
g. Communicate effectively in writing and orally
h. Understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context through broad education
i. Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning
j. Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary issues
k. Use the techniques, skills, and modern tools of engineering effectively and correctly in engineering practice