English as a Second Language (ESL)
If you are a non-native speaker of English, we can help you increase and improve your general proficiency with our eight-week series of English as a second language (ESL) classes.
This eight-week noncredit evening program is designed to improve your conversational, everyday English comprehension and fluency. You will experience maximum student-teacher interaction in a supportive classroom environment. You will also earn a certificate of completion.
Starting in November, three separate classes will meet once per week for four weeks. Participants have the option to register for one, two, or all three classes.
Class 1: Vocabulary Building
This class focuses on building vocabulary while exploring a variety of topics. To rapidly expand their English vocabulary, participants will learn about word roots. Participants will also learn which words are useful in everyday life, versus a technical setting. This class will meet on four Mondays (11/17, 11/24, 12/1, 12/8) from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The cost for this series is $135 and includes all materials.
Class 2: American Conversation Topics
This class includes:
- Conversational English including everyday expressions
- Listening comprehension and fluency
- Understanding American English idioms
- Exploration of cultural dimensions of communication
- Use of cultural examples as a vehicle to improve language proficiency
- This class will meet on four Wednesdays (11/19, 11/26, 12/3, 12/10) from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- The cost for this series is $70 and includes all materials.
Class 3: Pronunciation
This class includes:
- Focus on difficult sounds in English
- Exploration of common differences in accent
- Emphasis on American pitch and intonation
- Developing an awareness of which sounds diminish in American English
This class will meet on four Wednesdays (11/19, 11/26, 12/3, 12/10) from 7:45 to 8:45 p.m.
The cost for this series is $70 and includes all materials.
Classes will be taught by Devin Blankenship, a talented ESL instructor with more than ten years of teaching experience, including internationally. Blankenship will use Compelling Conversations, a widely recognized and respected text to supplement his instruction.
>> REGISTER ONLINE NOW <<