English as a Second Language (ESL)
If you are a non-native speaker of English, we can help you increase and improve your general proficiency with our four-week series of English as a second language (ESL) classes.
This four-week noncredit evening program is designed to improve your conversational, everyday English comprehension and fluency. You will experience maximum student-teacher interaction in a supportive classroom environment. You will also earn a certificate of completion.
When offerred, three separate classes will meet once per week for four weeks. Participants have the option to register for one, two, or all three classes.
Class 1: Vocabulary Building
This class focuses on building vocabulary while exploring a variety of topics. To rapidly expand their English vocabulary, participants will learn about word roots. Participants will also learn which words are useful in everyday life, versus a technical setting. Dates are pending for this series. The cost for this series is $135 and includes all materials.
Class 2: American Conversation Topics
This class includes:
- Conversational English including everyday expressions
- Listening comprehension and fluency
- Understanding American English idioms
- Exploration of cultural dimensions of communication
- Use of cultural examples as a vehicle to improve language proficiency
- Dates are pending for this series.
- The cost for this series is $70 and includes all materials.
Class 3: Pronunciation
This class includes:
- Focus on difficult sounds in English
- Exploration of common differences in accent
- Emphasis on American pitch and intonation
- Developing an awareness of which sounds diminish in American English
Dates are pending for this series.
The cost for this series is $70 and includes all materials.
Classes will be taught by Devin Blankenship, a talented ESL instructor with more than ten years of teaching experience, including internationally. Blankenship will use Compelling Conversations, a widely recognized and respected text to supplement his instruction.
REGISTRATION COMING SOON!