If you discover a fire, explosion or smoke in a building, activate the nearest fire alarm and proceed to evacuate.
When a fire alarm sounds, Indiana law requires complete evacuation of the building. Follow the IUPUC emergency action plan and the instructions for your floor and building.
- Warn others as you exit.
- Call 9-911 to notify campus police or 911 to notify local responders. Always call from a safe location.
- Do not use elevators unless directed to do so by authorized emergency personnel.
- If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the door closed.
- If the fire is small enough to be extinguished and you have had extinguisher training, use a portable fire extinguisher to put out the fire.
- If you have any doubts about the size of the fire or your ability to extinguish it, do not try.
- Evacuate! Never attempt to put out a fire yourself until someone has notified the authorities.
Report all fires and potential hazards to the Office of Public Safety.