English New Language
As an Indiana University Bachelor of Science (BS) in Elementary Education student at IUPUC, your degree leads to a general license to teach kindergarten through grade six.
To meet degree requirements under the Rules for Education Preparation and Accountability (REPA) program, you must also complete an area of concentration.
You can increase your marketability as an elementary education teacher with a dual license in teaching English as a new language (ENL). This concentration will enable you to assist children who are learning English develop their academic skills.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and be accepted to the elementary education program at IUPUC to obtain this certification.
- Proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to at least two university semesters is required for admission.
- The concentration will be completed concurrently with the professional education courses in the Teacher Education Program (TEP).
Suggested Program of Study
- ENG-G 205 Introduction to English Language
- EDUC-L 441 Bilingual Education: Introduction
- EDUC-L 436 Methods and Materials Preparation for English as a Second Language (ESL) Instruction
- EDUC-X 470 Psycholinguistics for Teachers of Reading
- EDUC-L 442 Teaching English Language Learners: Bilingual & English as a Native Language (ENL)
- EDUC-L 403 Assessment for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- EDUC-M 470 Student Teaching Practicum.
You will complete one of your student teaching experiences in an ENL-focused placement.