As an Indiana University Bachelor of Science (BS) in Elementary Education student at IUPUC, your degree will lead to a general license to teach kindergarten through grade six.
To meet degree requirements under the Rules for Education Preparation and Accountability (REPA) program, you must also complete an area of concentration.
Do you want to help children understand the economics, governments, history, and social structures of the world in which we live? If you are interested in current events, geography, sociology, world cultures, American history, politics, and related topics, you can help children gain a greater awareness of the systems that impact today’s global society. Consider a concentration in social studies—with your instruction, you can teach powerful, meaningful lessons that are developmentally appropriate and challenging.
- This program of study must be completed concurrently with the elementary education (K–6) teacher preparation program.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
Program of Study
For IUPUC students starting at DURING OR AFTER the fall 2013 semester:
- GEOG-G 110 Intro to Human Geography*
- POLS-Y 103: Intro to American Politics
- Select two classes at the 200+ level from the following areas: anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, sociology, or psychology
- United States history double counts for General Education Content: Social Sciences
- World history double counts for General Education Conten: Social Sciences
* If GEOG-G 110: Intro to Human Geography is taken to fulfill the General Education: Social Sciences Elective, a second course from the Social Sciences Elective options must be taken.