Once you have earned an Indiana University Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in education, you will be prepared to pursue professional licensure so you can begin teaching in Indiana or another state.
- On and after September 1, 2013, the State of Indiana will move to a new licensing framework called the Rules for Educator Preparation and Accountability (REPA).
- Beginning on January 1, 2020, all new license applications will fall under the Rules for Educator Preparation and Accountability 3 (REPA3), which updates licensing language in the State of Indiana.
- Graduates of the elementary education program applying for licensure under REPA will be eligible for an original (initial) generalist license in two school settings: (1) elementary primary and (2) elementary intermediate. To apply for your Indiana teaching license you will need to create a profile and submit your license application with the Indiana Department of Education's Licensing Verification and Information System (LVIS).
- If you have a degree in education but did not complete it at IUPUC and you seek an initial Indiana instructional license, consult the Indiana Department of Education's Office of Educator Licensing and Development (OELD).
If you complete coursework in English as a new language, or special education, provide documentation of passing licensure test scores to the Division of Education. We will process your licensure application for the specific content area once your score is received. If you are taking a middle school licensure test, ensure your scores are reported directly to the Indiana Department of Education.
Licensure Testing Requirements
- The State of Indiana requires ALL licensure applicants pass all required tests and report the scores to the appropriate offices. This includes the academic skills assessment requried for admission into a Teacher Preparation Program, and the appropriate licensure exam.
- As of February 10, 2014 all applicants applying for intial licensure after this day are required to take and pass the appropriate Developmenta/Pedagogy test administered by Pearson/Evaluation Systems.
- The State of Indiana allows licensed educators to add content areas to an existing license solely by passing the appropriate licensure test. The Indiana Department of Education processes applications for licensure through testing. Call 317.232.9010 for information.
Currently Licensed Educators
If you are a currently licensed teacher, we can assist you with: