As an Indiana University Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) student at IUPUC, you can design a flexible, personal plan of study that fits your life and career goals.
The 120-credit BGS degree includes courses in the arts and humanities, sciences and mathematics, and social and behavioral sciences. Of the 120 total credits, you must have at least:
- 36 credit hours in arts and sciences
- 18 credit hours in one of three concentration areas: (1) arts and humanities, (2) sciences and mathematics, or (3) social and behavioral sciences
- 15 credit hours in arts and sciences electives
- 51 credit hours in free electives
- At least 30 of the required 120 degree credits must be at the 300- or 400-level.
- No more than 21 credit hours are allowed in one arts and sciences department/subject or 30 credit hours in one professional school.
- At least 30 total credit hours from Indiana University are required; at least 20 of these must be earned after admission to the BGS degree program (Note: a maximum of 64 credits from a community college may be applied to degree requirements.)
- 2.0 cumulative IU grade point average and a 2.0 average in all courses completed after admission to the BGS degree program.
- Completion of competency courses in these areas: written communication (two course minimum), verbal communication, quantitative reasoning, computer literacy, and diversity.
Courses used to meet competency credit must be a minimum of three credit hours. You must earn a grade of C or better in each.
Program Planning Sheet
To track your progress and to assist in the advising process, download and print this BGS program planning sheet.
- Be sure to review both sides of this document.
- Use it to take notes about the courses you've completed.
- Use it to take notes about the courses you want to register for before your advising appointment.
- Review the program planning sheet frequently with your advisor and you will stay on track to graduate as quickly as possible.