At IUPUC, academic advising is an interactive, participatory, and formal process designed to ensure you are academically successful. The academic advisors in University College (UCOL) will:
- Help you choose a major and plan your academic program
- Suggest enrichment opportunities, like the Honors Program or student mentoring
- Check your progress toward completing your degree and meeting degree requirements
- Provide information about how your transfer credits apply to your degree
- Explain academic policies and requirements
- Help you declare a new major, minor, or certificate program
- Assist you with a grade appeal or an issue with a class
- Provide support in the event of a personal issue or challenging life circumstance
To provide you with the best counsel, advisors must have time to review your academic history, plan, and progress. Although some questions can be answered via e-mail or phone, good advising almost always occurs during a scheduled appointment.To schedule an appointment:
- Call us at 812.348.7271 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- When on campus, visit the Student Services Desk in CC Room 156 to make an appointment.
Preparing for Appointments
Because advisors help you make important choices about your degree program and career goals, please be prepared before coming to advising appointments.
- Be ready to plan courses for your next semester and work with your advisor to discuss, set, and monitor your goals. Complete a pre-advising worksheet to help you and your advisor clearly communicate and discuss topics that are important and specific to you.
- Make written notes with the questions you have for your advisor.
- Be on time. Come to the Student Services Desk in CC Room 156 at or before your scheduled appointment time.
- Listen carefully and take notes as your advisor reviews, compares, researches, recommends, and prepares your customized program plan during the meeting.
Registering for Classes
Although you and your advisor will select specific courses for the next semester during the appointment, you will register yourself for classes in OneStart. Register as soon as possible after your advising appointment to ensure that the courses you chose are still available.