As a new, incoming student, you will receive an information packet from University College explaining your next steps. Packets are mailed in April for students beginning classes in the fall. Please complete these steps quickly so you can register for classes on the days and times that best fit your schedule.
STEP 1: Establish IT Accounts
When you receive information about establishing your IT accounts, act quickly so you can access university e-mail and other important online tools such as OneStart and Oncourse (you’ll learn more about these at orientation). Follow the instructions you receive from the Office of Recruitment & Admissions to establish your accounts, including:
If you have questions, contact University College in CC Room 156 or call the IT Support Center at 812.314.8600.
STEP 2: Take Placement Tests
As a new IUPUC student, you may need to take two tests—English and math. Each placement test takes less than one hour to complete and there are a variety of times available.
- Register for and complete any required placement testing as quickly as possible.
- You will receive a letter via U.S. mail with information about which test(s) you need and how arrange an appointment to do so.
- If you have lost your placement testing letter, call University College at 812.348.7271 or visit us in CC Room 156.
STEP 3: Register for Orientation
After you complete placement testing, you will receive information about registering for orientation.
- All beginning students—including transfer students with less than 12 hours of transferrable credits—are required to complete new student orientation, which includes both advising and registration for your first semester of IUPUC classes.
- If you are a transfer student with more than 11 hours of transfer credit, a new student orientation is optional. You are encouraged, but not required, to attend if this applies to you.
Schedule an appointment (separate from your orientation) to meet with your advisor and register for classes. In addition, please:
- Review the New Student Orientation Handbook (you will receive a printed copy during orientation).
- Go online and review the Schedule of Classes to find courses you are interested in taking during your first semester. See pages 19-26 in the orientation handbook for suggestions about how to read the course schedule and choose classes.
- Make note of those classes that meet on days and times that are convenient for you.
- Log into OneStart and complete the immunization compliance form*, which is located in the "Services & Information" section of your Student Self-Service page.
*NOTE: You must complete this form to register for classes. Although it is not mandatory for you to be vaccinated, state law requires that you be informed about meningitis (meningococcal) and the benefits of vaccination for preventing the disease. By completing the form, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the information provided to you by the university about this disease.
STEP 4: Attend Orientation
Make the most of your orientation and you will have a great start to your IUPUC experience!
Be sure to bring your IU username and passphrase with you. You will need this to log into the system and register for classes. For information about what to expect during orientation, select the link that best describes you:
Once you've completed orientation, you will make an appointment to meet with your advisor to determine the classes you should take. Once the appropriate classes are identified, you will register for them in OneStart.