International Students

We welcome students and visitors from around the world!

Office of International Affairs

If you are not a U.S. citizen, if you do not have permanent resident status in the U.S., and if you completed all of your secondary education outside of the U.S., contact the Office of International Affairs at for information about becoming a student. We can assist with the admission process if you:

  • Are a visa holder (H, L, J, F, etc.)
  • Have academic transcripts from schools, universities, and/or colleges outside of the U.S.

If you are classified as a permanent resident or a deferred action student, your application will be processed using the same admission process as applies to domestic U.S. students, but if any academic transcripts are from outside of the U.S., they will be processed through the admission process for international students.


You must have completed the entire primary and secondary university preparatory sequence in the country where you studied. If schooled in any system with less than the U.S. standard of 12 years of primary and secondary education, you must demonstrate outstanding academic performance to be admitted to the university.

To apply for admission, please provide:
  • Official academic transcripts (i.e., documentation from each school attended) demonstrating you have completed a challenging course of primary and secondary study, including math and science, that has prepared you for university study
  • Transcripts must clearly indicate all courses completed and grades/marks earned for each. If your transcripts are not available in English, a verified English translation must be included
  • Copies of all graduation diplomas, school certificates, and other documents indicating completion of secondary school

If you studied at a vocational secondary school, your admission will depend on the rigor of the program curriculum as indicated on your official transcripts.

Language Requirements

If English is not your native language, you must demonstrate English proficiency by completing one of these exams.

  • English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Test: Offered at IUPUC. Contact us for information.
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): TOEFL testing is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). You must have a minimum score of 61 on the Internet-based test (IBT), 173 on the computer-based test (CBT), or 500 on the paper-based test (PBT). Request that official TOEFL scores be sent to IUPUC. Use school code 1325.
  • Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT): The SAT is the most widely used entrance exam for undergraduate students in the U.S. There are 20 SAT subject tests in five general subject areas, including English. Verbal test scores of 400 in English are required.
  • American College Testing (ACT): The ACT is a national admissions examination consisting of tests in four subject areas, including English. A score of 17 or better on the ACT English exam is required for admission.
  • General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level (O Level): These are subject tests offered in the United Kingdom. Although the O Level exams were phased out in the UK several years ago, some Commonwealth of Nations countries, including Ceylon, Bangladesh, Brunei, Malaysia, Malta, and Sri Lakna, still use them. Grades of A-C in English Language are required for admission.
  • Society for Testing English Proficiency (STEP) EIKEN Test: STEP was established for improving practical English proficiency for residents of Japan. The EIKEN test is offered in three groups: Grade 1 (advanced), Grade 2 (intermediate) and Grade 3 (beginner). A “Pre-1” grade is required for admission.
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: More than 2,840 academic institutions around the globe recognize the PTE. A score of 45 is required for admission.  

Admission Process

As an international student, you may apply for admission to IUPUC during your final year of secondary school (indicate your expected graduation date on the application) or after you have completed your secondary education.

  1. If you want to earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree at IUPUC, complete the online undergraduate admission application.
  2. If you want to earn a Master of Arts (MA) in Mental Health Counseling or a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree at IUPUC, complete the graduate international student graduate application.
  3. A $60 application fee is required and is nonrefundable. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Note that unless your Visa or MasterCard payment is accepted through the online process, we will not receive your application. If you do not have one of these credit cards, a friend or relative may pay the fee for you.

International Student Fees

  • A non-refundable $62.50 application fee is required.
  • If you require student visa sponsorship from Indiana University, you will be charged an additional fee semester for this sponsorship.
  • If you are an F or J visa holder, you pay non-resident tuition rates.
  • If you have a deferred action work permit, you pay non-resident tuition rates.
  • For more information, explore the tuition and fees page.

Additional Information

As an iternational student at IUPUC, your application and educational credentials will be processed by the Office of International Affairs at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). IUPUC follows IUPUI's admissions processes and deadlines for international admissions. For complete details, please review the Office of International Affairs Web pages.