The Purdue University Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) degree at Indiana University–Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC) is the only four-year undergraduate engineering program in southeastern Indiana.
Launched in 2011, the BSME program will continue to grow as the curriculum is fully developed and it becomes more established throughout the region we serve.
Before the end of 2013, goals for the BSME program include:
- Establish an Engineering Advisory Board (EAB)
- Develop marketing and recruitment materials
- Start an American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) student chapter
- Develop new courses in statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, materials, design, manufacturing, metrology, and other subjects
- Establish a summer engineering internship program
- Obtain support for additional lab equipment, student scholarships, and faculty development
Over the next four years, program goals include:
- Apply for accreditation from the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- Fully equip all labs
- Hire two additional engineering faculty
- Hire an engineering lab technician and manager
- Integrate CFD simulation software into courses and curriculum development
- Begin a “Phase Two” feasibility study about offering a second engineering degree at IUPUC