Thank you to those who nominated all of the outstanding teachers. We're pleased to congratulate the winner:
Kathy Strickland: 2014 Edna V. Folger Outstanding Teacher
- Ms. Strickland is a veteran teacher of deaf and hard of hearing. She started her career at Lincoln Elementary School in 1980 and has taught students in grades K through six at Southside Elementary School since 1984.
- Colleagues admire Strickland’s invaluable multi-grade perspective and her unique ability to make concepts accessible for all learners. In addition to teaching students on her caseload, Ms. Strickland also teaches students throughout southside as well as teaching their regular classroom teachers. She collaborates with colleagues to design curriculum and instructional methodologies that support students with hearing loss, yet are suitable for all students. Ms. Strickland teaches lessons beyond academic subjects like compassion and acceptance. She has inspired many students to learn American Sign Language and even pursue careers teaching hearing impaired students. One parent wrote, “My son is living proof of Kathy Strickland’s dedication, talent, commitment, and sheer will to make sure all her students have every opportunity for a normal life.” Send Ms. Strickland a note of congratulations at email@example.com.
- The award was presented to Strickland at the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting held at the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center on March 4, 2014.
About the Award
The Edna V. Folger Outstanding Teacher Award renews awareness of the immeasurable influence teachers have on their students and recognizes the traditional image of the teacher as a community role model. The award is sponsored annually by Faurecia Emissions Control Technologies, the Community Education Coalition, and the Center for Teaching & Learning at IUPUC.”
Folger set the early standard for teachers in Columbus. In her honor, the award was designed to raise awareness about the immeasurable influence teachers have on their students and to recognize the image of teachers as important community role model.
- Review this information sheet with details about the award and previous winners.
- The award has been presented at a Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce meeting; see above for details.
Eligibility & Nominations
Any full-time elementary or secondary school teacher working at a public, private, or parochial school in Bartholomew County is eligible to be nominated for this award.
- Any individual or group may nominate a Bartholomew Co. classroom teacher.
- Download the nomination form.
- Forms are also available at the Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation administrative offices and in the main office of schools throughout Bartholomew County.
For information, contact Marsha VanNahmen at 812.314.8715 or firstname.lastname@example.org.