Banded tuition is defined as charging a single-tuition amount for credits within a defined range. Banded tuition is designed to help undergraduate students graduate in four years and minimize education-related debt.
Effective Fall 2016, full-time undergraduate students enrolled in on-campus degree programs at IUPUC will pay the same amount for their basic tuition when taking between 12 credits and 18 credits, rather than pay a per-credit rate. Students taking fewer than 12 credits in a semester will continue to pay the per-credit rate, and students enrolled in 19 or more credit hours will pay the banded tuition rate up to 18 credit hours plus the per-credit tuition rate for each credit over 18. The banded tuition rate will be set at the equivalent of 15 credit hours under the per-credit system, and the banded tuition rate will be different for in-state and out-of-state residents.
Banded tuition is sometimes known as “flat rate” tuition and is already in place at a number of institutions statewide, including IU-Bloomington, Purdue-West Lafayette, Ball State, and Indiana State University.
The Indiana Commission for Higher Education has found that seven in 10 students at Indiana public institutions that charge banded tuition take 15 credit hours in a semester compared to two in 10 at institutions that charge by the credit hour. Evidence nationwide suggests that banded tuition is a promising strategy for increasing student success and on-time completion.
Students who are enrolled in on-campus degree programs can include online courses in the 12-18 credit tuition band. Students who are enrolled in online degree programs pay for courses by the credit hour and are not eligible to pay the banded tuition rate. Please review the policy for more information.
Advantages for students
- More Predictable Planning
- Banded tuition makes the cost of attendance more predictable and understandable.
- Banded tuition helps students and families plan better financially, knowing tuition rates for full-time enrollment in advance.
- By enrolling in 15+ credits a semester, degree maps, that outline the four-year path to a degree on a semester-by-semester basis, are easier to understand and follow.
- Enhanced Academic Flexibility and Faster Time to Degree
- Banded tuition rate allows full-time undergraduate students to take more course hours each fall and spring semesters and not be charged an additional amount.
- Banded tuition permits students to explore an area of interest by allowing them to enroll in a course without having to worry about the additional cost of the added course.
- Students who take advantage of banded tuition and enroll in 15 or more credits per semester will graduate in four years, which eliminates the additional expenses of a fifth or sixth year of college.
- Long-Term Cost Savings
- On time graduation means a reduction in room, board, transportation and/or other college-related expenses for students and their families, and may also reduce student loan debt.
- On-time graduation will allow students to move into the job market sooner. Earlier entry into the market could result in earning one or two years of additional income over the span of a career.
- Students who accelerate their programs and take more than 15 credit hours each semester have the opportunity to pursue a minor or certificate at no additional cost.
- How the Campus Provides Support
- Office of Student Financial Services (financial aid) staff members are prepared to help students determine how to optimize ways to finance their education and keep loan debt under control.
Additional Banded Tuitions Details
- Part-time undergraduate students enrolled in 1 to 11 credit hours will be charged tuition on a per credit hour basis. Undergraduate students enrolled in 12 to 18 hours will be charged a flat rate based on the current 15 credit hour rate for tuition. Undergraduate students enrolled in more than 18 credit hours will be charged the banded tuition rate up to 18 hours PLUS a per credit hour rate for any hours over 18.
- Banded tuition rates do not apply to graduate degree programs or professional degree programs.
For a detailed listing of all tuition and fee rates on the IUPUI and IUPUC campuses, you may access the Master Fee List.