You must meet eligibility requirements to qualify for most types of financial aid.


In general, you must be admitted to and enrolled in a degree-granting program of study at IUPUC to be eligible for aid.

Eligible Citizen or Noncitizen

To receive federal student aid, you must be one of the following:

If you are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series diplomatic or international organization visa, you are not eligible for federal student aid.

Enrollment Level

For most types of scholarships and financial aid, you must be enrolled at least half-time as an undergraduate student. Half-time status is at least six (6) credit hours during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

You must meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards to qualify for financial aid. The Office of Financial Aid monitors your academic progress based on federal guidelines.

Selective Service

Almost all male U.S. citizens and male immigrant aliens residing in the U.S. are required to be registered with the Selective Service System if they are at least 18 but not yet 26 years old. If required by law, you must register, or arrange to register, with the Selective Service System to receive federal student aid. 

Do Not Default or Overpay

To be eligible for financial aid, you must not be in "default" (i.e., failure to repay a loan according to the terms of that loan on a signed promissory note) on a previous student loan. Defaulting on a loan is the failure to repay a loan and/or failure to submit an official request for loan deferment or cancellation.

  • The consequences of defaulting on a student loan are severe. If you are in default, the university, the financial lender or agency that made the loan, the state, and/or the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid may take action to recover the funds loaned you, including notifying national credit bureaus your default, which will have a negative impact on your credit rating or FICO score.
  • In addition, if you are in default, the agency holding the loan may ask your employer to deduct payments from your paycheck. You are also liable for expenses incurred in collecting the loan.
  • If you are in default, leave the university for a period of time, and then return to IUPUC to continue your education, you are not entitled to receive more federal aid. The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid may ask the Internal Revenue Service to withhold your income tax refund and apply it toward the amount owed.

Overpayment occurs if you receive more aid than you were eligible to receive.

  • Please review your student aid report (SAR) carefully if you are in overpayment of federal student aid funds.
  • The SAR will provide you with information on who holds the overpayment and who to contact for more information.
  • IUPUC must receive confirmation that overpayments are resolved before we may award additional aid.

Criminal Convictions

Students with criminal convictions have limited eligibility for federal student aid.

FAFSA Status

After submitting a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), monitor the status of your application to ensure no corrections or additional information is required.

  • If you submitted the FAFSA online using a PIN, you can check the status within three to five days after submission.
  • If you did not submit the FAFSA online, you can check the status within seven to ten days after submission.

If your FAFSA was rejected or you see a comment code indicated regarding your application, you can make corrections. These issues will result in a notification that is added to your "To Do List" under "Student Self-Service" in One. Please contact theOffice of Financial Aid if you need assistance.