Keeping aid

Awarding Aid

Once your aid limit is determined, theOffice of Financial Aid awards your aid based on:

  • Your FAFSA request for aid
  • The amount of funds available
  • Your eligibility for aid

To continue receiving aid until you complete your degree and graduate from IUPUC, you must continue to meet the basic eligibility criteria, make satisfactory academic progress, and complete the FAFSA each year. Please remember these criteria remain in effect through the entire period for which you receive aid. In other words, you must continue to meet eligibility criteria even after you have completed the FAFSA and received your aid.

Satisfactory Progress

If you received a loan, grant, or work-study funding, you must continue to meet the basic eligibility criteria and make satisfactory academic progress (SAP).

  • We check your progress once each academic year during the qualification process.
  • Contact your advisor, division head, or member of the financial aid office if you have questions about SAP policies.
  • If you fail to make satisfactory academic progress, you will be notified via e-mail sent to your university address and your aid will be suspended.
  • If you believe compelling special circumstances caused a negative impact on your progress, complete and submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form. Your appeal will be reviewed by a committee, after which you will be informed of the committee’s decision.
  • You must complete the FAFSA for each year during which you want to receive aid. In order to receive aid for subsequent years, you must submit that year’s FAFSA. The FAFSA Web site makes it easy to submit a renewal.

Criminal Convictions

Your eligibility for federal aid is affected by criminal convictions and incarceration. Generally, if you are incarcerated you are not eligible for federal grants or loans. Once released, eligibility limitations will be removed. In fact, you may be able apply for aid before you are released so aid is processed in time for you to begin the semester. You may also be eligible for aid when on probation, parole, or living in a halfway house.

  • If your incarceration was for a drug-related offense or if you are subject to an involuntary civil commitment for a sexual offense, your eligibility may be limited.
  • When you complete the FAFSA, you will be asked whether you had a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid. If the answer is yes, you will be provided a worksheet to help you determine whether your conviction affects your eligibility for federal student aid. Preview the drug eligibility worksheet.
  • If your eligibility for federal aid has been suspended due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility early by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an approved drug rehabilitation program. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid office immediately so you can get any aid you’re eligible for.

Even if you are not eligible for federal aid, you should still complete the FAFSA because many universities and states useFAFSA information to award state and other types of aid.

If you have questions or concerns about how to answer this question, call 1.800.4.FED.AID (1.800.433.3243) for help from the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

Change of Status

Ensure that your IUPUC student record is current. Contact us if you receive any additional financial assistance after filing an application. Should your financial position (or the financial position of your parents or family) change while you are a student, please notify us. Other changes in your student status that require notification include:

  • Your degree program (changing majors or degrees)
  • Home address
  • Phone number
  • Marital status

Failure to inform us of changes may result in adjustments to your aid.

Withdrawal & Ceasing to Attend Classes

If you stop attending classes without officially withdrawing, you may be required to repay the federal aid you have already received. Your eligibility for continued aid may also be affected. It is important to officially withdraw from the university because:

  1. Eligibility for future financial aid, should you with to return to IUPUC, is based on your last documented date of attendance.
  2. If no documentation exists, funding organizations will assume you have never attended IUPUC.
  3. A grade of F will appear on your transcript, which will damage your GPA.
  4. According to federal regulations, if you do not officially withdraw, you will still be billed for the class.

If you decide to leave the university, review the official policies and procedures for withdrawal. If you cannot withdraw in person, contact the Office of Registrar Services.

If you withdraw from the university before the end of the semester, you may be required to repay federal or state financial aid for that semester. If you cease to attend but fail to withdraw, you may also be subject to repayment of financial aid.

The amount of the repayment depends upon when you withdraw. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Partial Withdrawal or Changing Your Schedule

If you need to add, drop, or change classes, you should do so during the first week of the semester.

  • Dropping classes after this date appears as a withdrawal on your transcript and counts against your satisfactory academic progress.
  • Even if you do not withdraw from all of your classes, all drops after the first week are recorded as withdrawals.
  • If you are considering a partial withdrawal, review our fee refund schedule and process.

Repayment of Federal Financial Aid

If you withdraw from the university, reduce the number of credit hours you are taking, or fail to attend classes you may be required to repay some or all of your aid.

  • If you have attended only 60 percent or less of the semester or session, you will have to repay a percentage of your federal aid money.
  • When you withdraw from all classes, tuition and fees for the semester or session will be adjusted according to IUPUC’s Fee Refund Policy.

Repayment of State Financial Aid

The State of Indiana Division of Student Financial Aid (SFA) was known as the State Student Assistance Commission of Indiana (SSACI) prior to July 1, 2012. The SFA now oversees the repayment of state funds. If you withdraw, reduce the number of credit hours you are taking, or fail to attend classes you may be required to repay some or all of your state aid, even after it has been credited to your student bursar’s account.

State aid is awarded based on the assumption that you will be a full-time student each semester. If you are not enrolled full time, you are not eligible for these state grants:

  • Frank O’Bannon
  • Twenty-first Century Scholar
  • National Guard Supplemental Grant

Your enrollment status is determined after the end of the fourth week of classes, which is the SFA census period. You must be enrolled full time at the end of the census.

If you drop classes and are enrolled less than full time, or withdraw completely before the end of the census, you are ineligible to receive state grants. There are two cases in which you might have to return all or a portion of state aid:

  1. You withdraw completely from classes before the end of the fourth week of classes (i.e., the end of the census period).
  2. You remain enrolled but drop below full-time student status during the census period (i.e., withdraw from class).