Given the unusual nature of the Spring 2020 semester as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the IUPUI Faculty Council Executive Committee has approved a grade exception to the existing policy for S and P grades. These exceptions will be invoked for Spring 2020 only via an approval process after your final grades have been submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
Students requesting an S or P grade change exception will be instructed to contact the faculty member first. Faculty are asked to consider:
- Assignment of an additional special project or other creative academic activity that could result in an improved letter grade. (Note: The University Graduate School is advocating for this option for graduate students.)
- Flexibility in changing the assigned grade to an Incomplete if the faculty member and the student affected are able to work out a plan that would allow for later submission of coursework which could result in a better letter grade.
- If it is best for the student to use the S or P option, faculty should submit an Instructor Approval for Change of Grade to Satisfactory or Pass to the Office of the Registrar.
Once instructor approval has been submitted, students will receive a confirmation email that will direct them to talk to their advisor. Advisors are asked:
- To confirm that the student has already discussed with their instructor best options for course completion.
- If it is best for the student to use the S or P option, submit an Advisor Approval for Change of Grade to Satisfactory or Pass to the Office of the Registrar.
All requests to change a grade to S or P MUST be submitted by Friday, May 29.
Upon receipt of both the instructor and advisor approvals, the Office of the Registrar will process the grade change request.
Related questions and interpretations/answers are provided here.