My teaching focuses primarily focuses on interpersonal communication in the family and organizational contexts. In my research, I am interested in how individuals communicate affect their social relationships both at work and in their everyday lives. Recently, I have become interested in how individuals communicate (or not) about death, whether in their families or through obituaries. Overall, my teaching and research lead me to explore how interpersonal communication in various contexts affects individuals’ experiences.
- Ph.D.in Communication, North Dakota State University, 2010
- M.A. in Communication, Illinois State University, 2005
- B.A. in Advertising and Spanish, Marist College, 2003
- Director, Communication Studies Program, IUPUC
- Basic Communication Course Director, North Dakota State University (2007–2010)
- Instructor, West Chester University of Pennsylvania (2005–2006)
- Public Speaking
- Interpersonal Communication
- Introduction to Communication Studies
- Communication Theory
- Communication Research Methods
- Family Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Gender and Communication
- Dark Side of Interpersonal Communication
Administrative & Service Responsibilities
- Committee member, IUPUI Promotion and Tenure Committee (2018-2019)
- President, IUPUC Faculty Senate (2016-2017)
- Co-Director, IUPUC Early Start Committee (2016-present)
- Faculty sponsor, IUPUC Alpha Delta Lambda Honor Society
- Article reviewer for Western Journal of Communication, Iowa Journal of Communication, Atlantic Journal of Communication, Journal of Family Communication, Journal of Applied Communication Research, and Journal of Family Business Management
- Paper and panel reviewer for the National Communication Association and Central States Communication Association conferences
Awards & Honors
- IUPUC Full-time Faculty Service Award, 2015
- Recognizing External Achievements Award, IUPUI, 2014
- Outstanding Club Advisor [for Communication Club], IUPUC, 2014
- 20 under 40 Professionals Award, Columbus, IN Young Professionals, 2013
- IUPUC Full-time Faculty Service Award, 2013
- Cole, K. L., & Carmon, A. F. (2018). Changing the ‘face’ of the opioid epidemic: A generic rhetorical criticism of addiction obituaries. Rhetoric of Health and Medicine.2
- Barlett-Ellis, R. J., Carmon, A. F., & Pike, C. (2017). A review of immediacy and implications for provider–patient relationships to support medication management. Patient Preference and Adherence.2
- Poulsen, J. R., & Carmon, A. F. (2017). Who would do that?: A theory-based analysis of narratives of sources of family ostracism. Journal of Social Psychology.
- Carmon, A. F. (2014). Mission statements. In International Encyclopedia of Organizational Communication.
- Carmon, A.F., Miller, A. N., & Brasher, K. (2013). Privacy orientations: A look at family satisfaction, job satisfaction, and work-life balance. Communication Reports, 26, 101-112. 3 4
- Carmon, A. F. (2013). Is it necessary to be clear?: An examination of strategic ambiguity in family business mission statements. Journal of Qualitative Research Reports, 14, 87-96.
- Carmon, A. F., & Pearson, J. C. (2013). An exploration of family business employees: How perceptions of family communication influence their workplace experiences. Journal of Family Business Management, 3, 88-107.
- Carmon, A. F., & Poulsen, J. R. (2012). Do you feel left out of your family?: An examination of family communication patterns and ostracism. Iowa Journal of Communication, 44, 1-21.3
- Carmon, A. F., Miller, A. N., Raile, A. N. W., & Roers, M. (2010). Fusing family and firm: Employee perceptions of perceived homophily, organizational justice, organizational identification, and organizational commitment in family businesses. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 1, 210-223.
- Carmon, A. F., Western, K. J., Miller, A. N., Pearson, J. C., & Fowler, M. (2010). Grieving those we’ve lost: An examination of family communication patterns and grief reactions. Communication Research Reports, 27, 253-262.4
- Speech Coach, Columbus East High School
- Chair, Indiana High School Forensics Association Discussion Committee, August 2018 to present
- Chair, National Speech and Debate Association, Hoosier Heartland High School District Speech Committee, August 2017 to August 2019
- Grader of Senior Projects and Presentations, Columbus East High School
- Volunteer, Turning Point Domestic Violence Services
- Consultant, Heritage Fund: Community Fund of Bartholomew County