- 1991 Ph.D., Major: Geography, Minor: Anthropology, University of Arizona, Tucson.
- 1986 M.A., Major: Anthropology, University of Arizona, Tucson.
- 1983 B.A., Majors: Anthropology and Spanish, Indiana University, Bloomington.
In Human Geography
- Advanced Cultural Geography
- Economic Geography
- Environmental Policy Seminar
- Geography Capstone
- History of Geographic Thought
- Introduction to Human Geography
- Political Geography Urban Geography
- World Cultural Geography
In Regional Geography
- Geography of Appalachia
- Geography of Latin America
- Geography of the US-Mexico Borderlands
In Cartography and Geographic Information Systems
- Advanced Computer Cartography
- Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- Computer Cartography
- Geographic Information Systems
- Teaching and Learning with Maps
In Physical Geography
- Physical Geography
- Elements of Earth Science
In Other Fields
- Cultural Anthropology
- Introduction to Academic Research
Administrative & Service Responsibilities
Previous Administrative Positions
- 2013-16 Head, Division of Science, IUPUC (Interim, 2013-15)
- 2009-13 Associate Academic Dean, Concord University (Interim, 2009-10)
- 2005-08 Chairman, Division of Social Sciences, Concord University
Previous Faculty Positions
- 2004-2013 Professor of Geography, Concord University
- 1998-2004 Associate Professor of Geography, Concord University
- 1992-98 Assistant Professor of Geography, Concord University
- 1991-92 Assistant Professor of Geography, Missouri State University
- 1989-90 Geography Instructor, El Paso County (TX) Community College
Awards & Activities
- 2004-05. Joseph Friedl Award. Presented by the Concord University Student Government Association to the year's outstanding professor.
- Towers, G., Carr, D., Poulsen, J., Zoeller, A., Torres Bernal, A. and Crisp, C. 2016. Career Self-Efficacy Mentoring for Pre-Promotion Under-Represented Faculty. In 9th Annual Mentoring Conference Proceedings: Developmental Networks: The Power of Mentoring and Coaching, eds. N. Dominguez and D. Alexander, pp. 1222-1226. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico.
- Towers, George. 2013. Cultural Dasymetric Population Mapping with Historical GIS: A Case Study from the Southern Appalachians. In Geographic Information Systems: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications, ed. Information Resources Management Association, pp. 1151-1169. IGI Global. Originally published in 2011 in the International Journal of Applied Geospatial Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 38-56.
- Towers, George. 2011. Review of Digital Geography: Geospatial Technologies in the Social Studies Classroom, edited by Andrew J. Milson and Marsha Alibrandi. Journal of Geography, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 47-48.
- Towers, George. 2010. Rediscovering Rural Appalachian Communities with Historical GIS. Southeastern Geographer, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 58-82.
- Towers, George. 2006. Reading the Appalachian Landscape. Geographical Review, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 313-317.
- Towers, George. 2005. West Virginia’s Lost Youth: Appalachian Stereotypes and Residential Preferences. Journal of Geography, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 74-84.
- Canterbury, Ronald A., Stover, Dollie M., and Towers, George. 2002. Mountaintop Removal and Valley-Fill Mining Environmental Impact Study: Bird Populations along Edges. State College, PA: US Fish and Wildlife Service and US Enivironmental Protection Agency.
- Towers, George. 2000. Applying the Political Geography of Scale: Grassroots Strategies and Environmental Justice. The Professional Geographer, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 23-36.
- Towers, George. 1997. GIS vs. the Community: Siting Power in Southern West Virginia. Applied Geography, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 111-125.
- Marston, Sallie A., and Towers, George. 1993. Private Spaces and the Politics of Place: Spatioeconomic Restructuring and Community Organizing in Tucson and El Paso. In Mobilizing the Community: Local Politics in the Era of the Global City, eds., Robert Fisher and Joseph Kling, pp. 75-102. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Towers, George. 1992. The Urban Colonias of El Paso, Texas. In Geographical Snapshots of North America, ed., Donald G. Janelle, pp. 65-68. New York: Guilford.
- Towers, George. 1992. Review of Where North Meets South: Cities, Space and Politics on the U.S. - Mexico Border, by Lawrence Herzog. Contemporary Sociology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 214-215.
- Marston, Sallie A., Towers, George, Cadwallader, Martin, and Kirby, Andrew. 1989. The Urban Problematic. In Geography in America, eds. Gary L. Gaille and Cort J. Willmott, pp. 651-672. Columbus, OH: Merrill.
- DeNiro, Timothy, and Towers, George. 1986. Probable Economic and Social Effects of the Proposed Mt. Graham Facility. Tucson: Drachman Institute for Land and Regional Studies, University of Arizona.