If it has been a while since you last visited a university library, you may be surprised at what has changed! Today, ever-evolving technological advances have made information easier to find and retrieve. If you know where to look, you can find a wealth of information in a few quick keystrokes.
We encourage you to be mindful, however, that some online information is inaccurate and unreliable. Be sure you understand how to evaluate the reliability of the information source and the quality of the information you find through your online searches. Wikipedia, for example, is NOT an accepted or reliable source of information for research papers.
Librarians at the University Library of Columbus are knowledgeable, accessible, and excited about helping you find reliable information in this age of instant access. We will help you locate high-quality, online databases and other sources of scholarly information on countless topics and subjects.
Scheduling Library Instruction
Faculty members and adjunct instructors can schedule library instruction sessions for students that are tailored to specific classes. Instruction sessions are available if students are working on a specific assignment that requires the use of library resources. Numerous studies have shown sessions not tied to an assignment have little or no value for students.
In addition, we ask that you:
- Make requests at least two weeks in advance of the desired session date so we can ensure a librarian is available on the day and time requested.
- Faculty members must attend instruction sessions with their students.
- Instructors must complete an online instruction form for each instruction session requested.
"Open textbooks" are those with open copyright licenses that are made available online to be freely used by students, faculty, staff, and others. Many are distributed in other formats (i.e., print, e-books, or audio) that can be purchased and downloaded at little or no cost.
- Textbook Revolution: A good listing of available open textbooks from a variety of providers
- OpenStax Textbooks: Open course materials and textbooks; faculty can contribute materials
- Flat World Knowledge: Especially strong in business
- Open Textbook Library: Collection of textbooks that can be freely used, adapted, and distributed.
Fall Hours (Beginning August 23)
Monday -- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Labor Day Monday, September 6: CLOSED