The 120-credit BGS is flexible, providing a well-rounded education in concentration areas focusing on the arts and humanities, science and mathematics, and social and behavioral sciences.
Rather than working toward a specific academic major, you will fulfill required numbers of credits in each of these concentration areas along with elective courses that enable you and your advisor to develop a personal plan of study to fit your unique interests and goals. You can add academic minors or certificates in specific subjects to your BGS studies to broaden your career opportunities.
The general studies degree is an excellent choice if you:
- Have previously earned credits from an accredited college or university
- Want to apply military service credits toward a bachelor’s degree
- Seek a flexible bachelor’s degree program with high academic standards
- Are interested in designing a personal plan of study in partnership with your academic advisor
- Want to earn a bachelor’s degree to advance your career, have more employment opportunities, and increase your income
- Seek personal achievement and satisfaction from earning a bachelor’s degree
- Want to continue your education in a master’s or PhD program
Completing the BGS at IUPUC will make you more marketable and competitive in a variety of career fields. After graduation, your career options might include higher-level positions within your current organization, new positions with new employers, or graduate study. You can pursue professional positions in fields like business, education, information technology, law, government, healthcare, manufacturing, real estate, and social services, among others. You can also earn an academic minor or complete a certificate program along with the degree to maximize your career options and employment marketability.
The BGS is a flexible, multidisciplinary curriculum that provides nontraditional students with an opportunity to study specific aspects of human society and culture, sharpen their comprehension, speaking, and writing skills, and become critical thinkers. We'll collaborate with you to create a plan of study applicable and relevant to your academic and career goals while building a foundation for a lifetime of learning.
The BGS program is overseen by a faculty advisory and governance council.
Members develop curriculum, monitor academic quality and rigor, and review certification of graduates.