During your student teaching, you will observe and practice the art of teaching with professionals in actual classrooms. You will be exposed to different instructional styles, teacher-student interactions, and classroom management strategies.
- You will put the theories, concepts, and knowledge you’ve gained through your coursework into practice in classrooms throughout Bartholomew County and surrounding areas.
- You also have the option to complete a Global Gateway for Teachers experience as part of your student teaching. If you choose to participate in this option, you will complete a student teaching assignment in another part of the U.S. or overseas. This option is available through and administered by the Indiana University School of Education in Bloomington. You will work with your academic advisor and Global Gateway representatives to coordinate your experience.
Apply for your student teaching placement during your second semester in the TEP. Student teaching application packets are due at the beginning of Block II.
- If you complete Block II in the fall, submit your packet by 4 p.m. on the third Friday in September.
- If you complete Block II in the spring, submit your packet by 4 p.m. on the fourth Friday in January.
Follow these directions for applying to student teaching to compile your packet and complete related forms.
- All application packets MUST be complete. Partial packets will not be accepted or considered.
- You are only guaranteed a student teaching placement if you submit a complete application by the required due date.
Deliver completed application packets to Karen Garrity, coordinator of student teaching, in CC Room 155
The Student Teaching Handbook contains detailed information you need regarding your student teaching experience. The handbook outlines responsibilities, policies, timelines, and the student teaching evaluation process. It also includes these important student teaching:
During your student teaching experience, you will be assigned a university supervisor and a classroom supervisor.
Both of your supervisors will use specific measurement rubrics appropriate for your student teaching placement to evaluate your teaching performance. You can review these rubrics below: