A positive attitude and school spirit are essential! It is important that you feel comfortable interacting with others and speaking in front of a group. You must be enrolled as an IUPUC student in Spring 2023 and returning in Fall 2023. You must be in academic and disciplinary good standing with a 2.5 minimum GPA.
Orientation Leaders earn $10.15/hr.
Six orientations are scheduled from May 2023-August 2023. Each orientation will last from 8AM-5PM. Orientation Leaders will report to work approximately one hour prior to orientation and continue to work until about 30 minutes after the session ends, with a break for lunch (about 9.5 hours per orientation). OLs will work on Welcome Wednesday and choose two Welcome Week events at which to work.
OLs are required to attend two paid training sessions, one prior to the first orientation and one following the first orientation. During training, OLs will be provided all the information and tools they need in order to be ready for summer orientations.
Since orientations are scheduled during the summer, we understand applicants may not be available for all orientations due to summer classes. We encourage you to still apply even if you will not be able to attend all orientations, but please understand that preference will be given to students who can attend the most orientation sessions.
- April 14, 9AM-12PM
- May 19, 9AM-12PM
Orientation Dates (end times are approximate)
- May 5, 7AM-5:30PM
- June 2, 7AM-5:30PM
- June 9, 7AM-5:30PM
- July 21, 7AM-5:30PM
- July 28, 7AM-5:30PM
- August 11, 7AM-5:30PM
- Welcome Wednesday, August 16
- Welcome Week, August 21-25, events TBD
In serving as an Orientation Leader, you will:
- Enhance your communication, listening, and facilitation skills
- Demonstrate personal responsibility for actions and decisions
- Understand the benefits of attending IUPUC and be able to articulate those benefits to students and parents
- Represent yourself and the University in a professional manner
- Establish and foster positive working relationships with IUPUC students, faculty, and staff
- Cultivate an environment that is inclusive, civil, and welcoming to IUPUC's diverse populations
- Improve your ability to work effectively within a team
- Understand student transition issues and the impact of student engagement on campus
- Gain a basic understanding of university structure
- Identify campus resources and provide appropriate referral information
- Improve and enhance your personal leadership style