My doctoral research focused on the genetics of sex determination in the fern species Ceratopteris richardii. My postdoctoral work focused on rice and soybean genomics. I joined the Division of Science faculty at IUPUC in the fall of 2006 where my interests include plant biology, genetics, and biology education. I now research biology education with a particular interest in how future scientists are trained to communicate scientific findings, both written and orally, with the public at large as well as with each other.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology (Biochemistry option) and a Foreign Language Certificate in French from Michigan Technological University, 1996
- Ph.D. from the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology at Purdue University, 2001
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- Association of College and University Biology Educators
- BIOL-K 101 Concepts of Biology I
- BIOL-K 103 Concepts of Biology II
- BIOL-K 322 Genetics & Molecular Biology
- BIOL-K 323 Genetics & Molecular Biology Lab
- BIOL-N 108 Plants, Animals & the Environment
- SCI-I 120 Windows on Science
Administrative & Service Responsibilities
- Biology course coordinator
- Academic Resource Center science tutor coordinator
- Bridge Program instructor
- Constitution and Bylaws Committee
- Faculty Mentor
My current research studies students’ writing in science courses, with a focus on biology courses. The goal of this research is to improve how writing is taught and used in science courses in an effort to improve the ability of these students as future scientists to better communicate not only with each other but also with the public at large.
Awards & Activities
- 2012 Trustees Teaching Award
- Deep Gene Travel Award to Plant Biology 2003
- Plant Biology 2003 Travel Grant
- Outstanding Ph.D. Student, Department of Botany and Plant Pathology (2001)
- Botany and Plant Pathology Graduate Student Travel Award (May 1998, April 1999)
- Frederick N. Andrews Graduate Fellowship (1996-1998)
Hass-Jacobus, B.L., M. Futrell-Griggs, B. Abernathy, R. Westerman, J.L. Goicoechea, J. Stein, P. Klein, B. Hurwitz, et al. 2006. Integration of hybridization-based markers (overgos) into physical maps for comparative and evolutionary explorations in the genus Oryza and in Sorghum. BMC Genomics 7. Online journal.
Lin, J.-Y., B. Hass Jacobus, P. SanMiguel, J.G. Walling, Y. Yuan, R.C. Shoemaker, N.D. Young and S.A. Jackson (2005) “Pericentromeric regions of soybean (Glycine max L. Merr.) chromosomes consist of retroelements and tandemly repeated DNA and are structurally and evolutionarily labile.” Genetics 170:1221-1230.
Sano, R., C.M. Juarez, B. Hass, K. Sakakibara, M. Ito, J.A. Banks, and M. Hasebe (2005) “KNOX homeobox genes potentially have similar function in both diploid unicellular and multicellular meristems, but not in haploid meristems.”Evol Dev 7(1):69-78.
Hass, B. and S.A. Jackson (2005) “Cytogenetic analysis and physical mapping.”In: Handbook of Plant Genome Mapping: Genetic and Physical Mapping.Edited by K. Meksem and G. Kahl. WILEY–VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, pp. 133-150.
Jackson, S., B. Hass Jacobus, and J. Pagel (2004) “The gene space of the soybean genome.” In: Legume Crop Genomics. Edited by R.F. Wilson, H.T. Stalker, and E.C. Brummer. AOCS Press, Champaign, Illinois, pp. 187-193.
Jackson, S.A., P. SanMiguel, J.G. Walling, B. Hass Jacobus, R.M Westerman (2003) “Comparative cytogenomics and physical mapping in the Oryzeae.” In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Genetic Resources for the Genus Oryza.Edited by S. Nakayama, N. Tomooka, M. Hisada, D.A. Vaughn and K. Kadowaki. Tsukuba, Japan.
Hass, B.L., J.C. Pires, R. Porter, R.L. Philips, and S.A. Jackson (2003) Comparative genetics at the gene and chromosome levels between rice (Oryza sativa) and wildrice (Zizania palustris). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107: 773-782.
Strain, E., B. Hass, and J.A. Banks (2001) Characterization of mutations that feminize gametophytes of the fern Ceratopteris. Genetics 159(3): 1271-1281.
DeYoung, B., T. Weber, B. Hass, and J.A. Banks (1997) Generating autotetraploid sporophytes and their use in analyzing mutations affecting gametophyte development in the fern Ceratopteris. Genetics 147: 809-814.
I have served as a judge for many science fairs, including local elementary schools and the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. I have given multiple talks to local K-12 schools on topics such as the rainforest, DNA, genetics, and how to prepare for college. I have also been an invited speaker for the Daughters of the American Revolution on the topic of using DNA to trace ancestry, and have given workshops about DNA, genetics, and related topics through the local Partners in Education program.