What is a substance abuse counselor?
Substance abuse is a major national problem. There is a need for well-trained substance abuse counselors and substance abuse prevention specialists. The IUPUC Substance Abuse Counseling and Prevention certificate provides specialized education and training for individuals who want to work in the field of substance abuse or substance abuse prevention.
The certificate will provide students with knowledge and skill in the following areas:
- Factors that contribute to the use and abuse of drugs
- Personal, interpersonal, legal, and societal issues in substance abuse
- Psychopharmacology of substance use and abuse including influences of drugs on the brain function and behavior
- Counseling for individuals with substance abuse problems
- Research-based approaches to substance abuse prevention